Erectile dysfunction is a common problem. But what’s also common is the belief that the only treatment for ED is oral medication or surgical implants. The reality is that there are a multitude of natural remedies for erectile dysfunction that do not involve ingesting chemicals, undergoing surgery, or incurring unwanted side effects. The first step is to get an accurate diagnosis for what you’re experiencing. From there, you can explore these natural solutions to find the one that works for you.
First: Know What You’re Treating
As many as 1 in 4 men may experience erectile dysfunction before the age of 40. And it is estimated that globally more than 300 million men will suffer from ED by the year 2025. But is it really ED?
Erections start in the brain. Sources indicate that a stimulus—whether it is something you feel, see, smell, hear, or think of—releases the chemical nitric oxide, which causes the muscles around the penis to relax, opens the arteries, and allows the blood flow into the penis to increase. After the blood is in the penis, veins close up and pressure traps it within the corpora cavernosa. This expands the penis and creates the erection. When that blood flow stops and the veins open up again, the erection ends and the penis becomes soft again.
Erectile dysfunction is defined as either not being able to become erect at all or having an erection that is not firm enough or does not last long enough for sexual intercourse. If there is not enough blood flowing into the penis or too much blood flowing out of the penis, or if the signal cannot make it to the penis in the first place, it will result in erectile dysfunction.
There are a wide variety of conditions that can affect the delicate nerves and blood vessels that trigger erections. They can include atherosclerosis, Parkinson’s, hypertension or physical trauma.
Causes can also be psychological or environmental, such as relationship issues, alcoholism, stress, depression, smoking or drug abuse. Erectile dysfunction can also happen as a result of health issues such as diabetes, prostate cancer treatment, or obesity.
Erectile dysfunction will often go away when the underlying causes are treated. However, if it doesn’t, there are natural remedies available. The first step is to talk to your doctor to get a proper diagnosis before you attempt to treat erectile dysfunction.
Why Pills Aren’t for Everyone
A go-to solution for many men—and one that is often advertised on TV—is oral medication. Mainstream oral medications for erectile dysfunction are very popular, but they are not the right option for everyone.
Because ED medications work by enhancing the impact of nitric oxide to allow greater blood flow, men taking nitrates for heart problems can experience dangerous interactions, including a sharp and sudden drop in blood pressure. In addition, if there is nerve damage due to surgery or an illness, the signal that triggers the blood flow increase from the ED medications will not get through and they will not be effective.
It’s also possible that the blood vessels are too damaged for oral medications to be effective. Users of the medication may find that their erections improve, but not enough for intercourse.
There are also several side effects associated with medications. After taking them, many men experience headaches, flushing, nasal congestion, or an upset stomach. The particular effects can vary depending on which drug a man is taking. Although these effects are usually considered minor, and some men may experience them to a lesser degree or not at all, they may be enough to spoil the mood.
Fortunately, there are many natural remedies for erectile dysfunction that do not pose these health risks and side effects. The following are some popular DIY solutions.
These everyday habits can improve erectile function and treat ED:
- Eat a heart‑healthy diet. This can improve blood flow throughout the body, including the penis.
- Get regular exercise. Incorporating aerobic activity into your diet for just 30 minutes a day, five times a week, can reduce stress, increase energy levels, and improve circulation. And, combined with eating right, it can help you achieve a healthy weight, which also can improve ED.
- Quit smoking. It’s been found that men who smoke have a significantly higher risk of ED. If you smoke, take active steps to stop.
- Manage stress. Stress, depression, and anxiety can all have an impact on your sexual health. Resentment or anger in relationships can add to this. If you’re experiencing these feelings, talk it out, seek solutions, or consult your doctor for advice.
- Have more sex. If you’re struggling to achieve and keep erections, this may seem counterintuitive. But continuing to engage in sexual activity can keep you in the habit, and it can stimulate blood flow to the penis, which can counter ED.
Acupuncture is an ancient practice that originated in China. The first records of its use go back over 2,000 years. The practice involves thin needles being placed in the body at certain points known as meridians. This allows the body’s energy, known as “qi,” to flow more freely, granting relief from many ailments. Modern practitioners and medical specialists believe that effects from acupuncture may actually be the result of the needles triggering the release of endorphins or other neurotransmitters. As a natural treatment for ED, the release of these endorphins can help patients relax and increase blood flow, allowing them to regain some or all of their sexual function. Some specialists also theorize that acupuncture may also work on the psychological and emotional levels by easing stress, which can be a major contributing factor to erectile dysfunction.
Herbs and Supplements.
There are many supplements that are derived from herbs found around the world. These herbal supplements have varying degrees of effectiveness, and some have their own side effects, despite being natural solutions, so it’s important to talk to your doctor before trying them.
- Horny goat weed is a flowering plant that grows in China. It has become popular as a treatment for erectile dysfunction because it contains a compound that blocks the effects of an enzyme that restricts blood flow to the penis. This makes the herb act as a phosphodiesterase inhibitor, similarly to ED drugs.
- Ginseng is the term used for 11 different varieties of perennial plants with fleshy roots. Ginseng has been known to restore and enhance normal well‑being. It also increases nitric oxide levels, which helps open blood vessels and arteries and promote blood flow. One source asserts that ginseng helps improve penis rigidity, girth, duration of erection, libido, and overall satisfaction.
- Yohimbine, a West African tree bark, has been found to be a treatment for ED because researchers believe it activates the penile nerves to release more nitrous oxide. It is also known to widen blood vessels to increase blood flow, increase sexual desire, and prolong erections.
- L‑arginine is an amino acid that is found in many common foods, including turkey, chicken, soybeans, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, and many others. It boosts the body’s production of nitric oxide, which can make it easier to achieve an erection.
- Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone produced by your body’s adrenal glands. It is converted to testosterone and estrogen in the body, increasing the levels of both. Over‑the‑counter supplements are available and are derived from wild yams and soy.
In some cases, a solution to erectile dysfunction could be found in a change in diet. There are chemicals found in certain foods that may have a beneficial effect. The major advantage of this approach is that there are not likely to be any side effects, so there’s not much risk of trying it.
- Watermelon contains lycopene, an antioxidant that is good for your heart, prostate, and skin. It also has a compound that creates a similar effect on blood vessels as ED drugs do.
- Dark chocolate is rich in flavanols, which are plant nutrients that can increase blood flow and lower blood pressure. Dark chocolate also helps produce more nitric oxide, which can strengthen erections.
- Another food that boosts nitric oxide production is salmon and other fatty fish, as they contain high amounts of omega‑3 fatty acids.
- Peppers, including cayenne peppers, jalapenos, and habaneros, help relax arteries and thus promote more blood flow throughout the body and to the penis. Chili peppers can also lower blood pressure and prevent blood clots.
- Walnuts are loaded with arginine, an amino acid the body uses to make nitric oxide. Nuts overall are good sources of vitamin E, folic acid, and fiber, which are all beneficial for overall health.
Sources indicate other penis‑strengthening foods, including:
The Natural Remedy of Vacuum Therapy
Vacuum therapy devices such as those offered by Rejoyn Medical Systems, Inc., are a natural solution that offers many advantages over medications.
Vacuum therapy systems work by placing a plastic cylinder over the penis. The cylinder is attached to a pump that creates a vacuum suction, gently pulling blood into the penis, achieving an erection. Then, an elastic support ring is moved from the cylinder to the base of the penis before the cylinder is removed. The support ring holds the blood in the penis and maintains the erection for up to 30 minutes. Watch the demo video here to see exactly how vacuum therapy works.
Vacuum therapy systems are discrete, requiring only a single purchase instead of repeated visits to the pharmacy. And, after ordering a system and having it delivered, nobody outside the bedroom needs to know that the vacuum therapy pump is being used.
Penis pumps are:
- Natural and drug‑free
- Available without a prescription
Unlike oral medications, which can take up to two hours before reaching a peak effect, vacuum therapy devices are used immediately before intercourse. There is no need to plan ahead and no fear of wasting a dose if plans get interrupted. Some couples also believe that there is more romance when there is more spontaneity.
Moreover, vacuum therapy is proven effective in over 90% of clinical trials.
Benefits and Considerations of Vacuum Therapy
There are very few side effects with vacuum therapy devices. The most common issue is a cooler‑than‑average temperature of the penis when it is erect, and some men experience slight bruising. Because the systems are natural and there are no chemicals entering the body, vacuum therapy devices can be used in conjunction with other medications and even other erectile dysfunction treatments.
Men who have limited use of their hands due to arthritis or neurological issues can find vacuum therapy systems difficult to use. They may have difficulty operating the pump or loading the support ring onto the cylinder. Systems like the one offered by Rejoyn Medical Systems, Inc., however, are designed to make their use as easy and simple as possible.
These pumps come with a loading cone and pusher device to assist with loading the support ring. In addition, electric pumps are available. If the system is still too cumbersome, a willing partner can operate it, creating another opportunity for intimacy and bonding.
Remember to Communicate
As you explore these natural remedies for erectile dysfunction, stay positive, and remember to communicate. Because many people don’t want to talk about erectile dysfunction, it can cause a breakdown of communication in a relationship. Talk to your partner and keep them informed of what you are going through and what you are doing about it. Discovering natural remedies for erectile dysfunction can actually bring you closer and make your relationship even stronger.
No matter what age you are or what condition you are in, erectile dysfunction can always be treated. If your first option doesn’t work, talk to your doctor about alternatives.
For more information about erectile dysfunction or vacuum therapy, browse our blogs or check out our many downloadable resources. Ready to take the next step? Shop our store for quality, medical‑grade FDA‑approved penis pumps, and accessories.
For more eBooks, articles, and information about erectile dysfunction or vacuum therapy, visit Rejoyn Medical Systems at www.RejoynMedical.com