In today’s day and age, a go-to solution to health issues is to take another medication. It’s a common approach to many conditions, including erectile dysfunction. But in reality, you don’t have to reach for a prescription. Instead, it can be beneficial to look at the best food for erectile dysfunction and how what you eat can affect how you perform.
Food for erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is caused by inadequate blood flow to the penis, which prevents an erection from being achieved or sustained. (Learn more facts about erectile dysfunction here.) Therefore, a good rule of thumb when it comes to preventing ED is that any food that is bad for your heart is also bad for your sex life. Foods high in fat can clot arteries, restricting blood flow throughout your body, including to your penis. In addition, foods high in calories and fat can lead to obesity, which affects body image, confidence, and your ability to perform.
Eating for your heart.
Based on this, it’s always a good idea to pursue foods that are good for your heart. According to the Cleveland Clinic, these can include:
- Fish that is high in Omega-3s, including salmon, tuna, and trout
- Healthy nuts
- Berries, including blueberries, cranberries, and raspberries
- Veggies that are red, yellow, and orange, which contain carotenoids, fiber, and vitamins that help the heart
- Dark beans, such as kidney or black beans, that are high in fiber
- Tomatoes, which contain lycopene, vitamin C, and alpha- and beta-carotene
Foods that help ED.
Another thing you can do is consider food for erectile dysfunction that can specifically enhance sexual health. These aphrodisiac foods for men can help improve erectile dysfunction and get you more in the mood.
- Oysters are one of the aphrodisiac foods for men that many people have heard about. They are high in zinc, which boosts sperm count in men and fertility in women. They also contain amino acids that trigger the production of sex hormones. Others believe oysters are effective because they are “shapely” and tend to be considered “erotic edibles.”
- Watermelon is rich in an amino acid called citrulline, which is converted into arginine, which is involved in the making of nitric oxide. Nitrite oxide in turn helps relax and dilate blood vessels including those flowing to the penis.
- Pistachios are also rich in arginine, which can help relax blood vessels and improve blood flow.
- Truffles are used as spices or as plain food. Either way, they contain pheromones, which are a chemical substance that increases sexual activity. Black truffles, over white ones, are known to have the most aphrodisiac potency.
- Figs may be considered aphrodisiacs because, cut open, they’re believed to resemble the female sex organs. And some experts believe that the fig is rooted in the Garden of Eden and was the original “forbidden fruit.” Figs also contain high levels of iron and potassium-minerals that enhance sexual performance.
- Almonds are a fertility symbol, and are known for their alluring scent. They are also rich sources of omega-3 fats, which are needed to enhance testosterone production, reproductive function, fertility, and libido.
- Avocado contains high levels of folic acid, which can help increase male hormone production and regulate thyroid glands. These two elements can boost libido in both men and women. Avocado is also known to be a sensuous fruit based on its pear shape and rich flavor.
- Potatoes are known to be an aphrodisiac because they have the same effect on the body as chocolate. Potatoes increase levels of serotonin, which is the chemical that makes people feel happy, similar to the feeling of being in love.
- Leafy green vegetables, such as celery and spinach, along with beets, have high concentrations of nitrates, which also open blood vessels and increase blood flow. Asparagus, specifically, increases circulation in the genital and urinary organs. It is also a great source of Vitamin E, which stimulates the production of sex hormones and thus increases sex drive.
As you work on incorporating food for erectile dysfunction in your diet, there are also 7 foods you should avoid.)
Improve your lifestyle.
Finally, it can be beneficial to also look at additional lifestyle factors that can affect sexual performance. Exercising, getting enough sleep, and reducing stress can all improve ED. In addition, it’s important to limit alcohol consumption; and if you smoke, seek solutions to stop.
Just because you’re experiencing ED doesn’t mean it’s time to take a medication or look to invasive measures. Instead, you can get positive results by choosing the best food for erectile dysfunction and making improvements to your lifestyle. To learn more about natural ED solutions, download our free ebook.