A ring compressed to the base of your penis? A ring that gets tighter the harder you get? It can sound daunting, if not terrifying. But a penis ring, also known as a support ring or cock ring, is a key component of the penis pump, and together, they are an effective tool in maximizing performance and an answer to how to keep an erection longer.
And while the penis ring and penis pump can be exciting and sexy, bringing new sensations to arousal and orgasm, the trick is to know how to use a penis ring safely. Here’s how.
How the ring is used.
First, it’s important to understand that a penis ring is entirely safe. It is a ring made of metal, acrylic, rubber, or other material that is designed to be worn around the base of the penis.
The penis ring is used in conjunction with a penis pump. The pump creates a vacuum force inside the penile tube that draws blood into the penis, forming an erection. Then, once the erection is achieved, the ring is slid off the penile tube and secured around the base of the penis. The penis presses against the ring, which constricts the blood in the penis and holds the erection in place throughout intercourse or masturbation. After you orgasm or the erection diminishes, the ring easily slides off and the penis returns to normal.
How to use a penis ring safely.
- Avoid catching pubic hairs when applying or taking off the ring. Look out for tangling or pulling that can cause pain or discomfort. Trimming the area before use can help.
- Use lubricant, which can make it easier to take the ring on and off. Also, make sure to use a water-based lubricant, so as not to compromise the workings of the pump.
- If you have blood-clotting disorders or blood issues such as sickle cell anemia, or if you are on blood-thinning medications, talk to your doctor before using a penis ring.
- Do not wear the ring longer than 20 minutes at a time, and do not sleep with the ring on, which can affect blood flow to the penis. (There are some exceptions to this rule. The Maintain Loop available through Rejoyn Medical has a custom-fit tool, which lets you adjust the tension of the ring. This makes it possible to wear the ring throughout the day as a method of controlling incontinence.)
- Stop wearing the ring if you—or your partner—experience bruising, discoloration, or irritation.
Another factor in how to use a penis ring safely is to clean and store it properly. Between uses, wash the ring gently with warm water and mild soap, and dry it thoroughly. Also, make sure to keep it in a secure location out of reach of children and pets.
Finally, a key to using a penis ring safely is to experiment with the different styles, materials, and sizes penis rings come in. Experts advise that you may want to start with a flexible, stretchy ring that is easy to take on and off.
From there, explore the various options available. Some penis rings are “double rings” designed to also encircle the testicles. This can address how to keep an erection because it stops the testicles from retracting. There are also rings that come with vibrating components designed to bring pleasure to your partner as well.
A penis ring can seem a little intimidating, but rest assured it can be used safely and effectively with a penis pump to take back your sex life.
Learn more about what is a cock ring and what is a penis ring going to do for your confidence. And for more information, browse our blogs or check out this helpful penis pump video.